Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What's on my hold list?

Hey guys. I thought I'd post a preview of some of the books I'm waiting for. If anyone has read any of these so far, feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Cheerleading. Popularity. Competition. Intrigue. Suicide. Mystery.

Not my usual fare, necessarily, but who could resist that cover and reviews that call it "a fight club among cheerleaders" and that cover? I'm thinking it might be a bit more like The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler than Pretty Little Liars, but we shall see.





Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

I've loved Brennan's work on Team Human, and her contributions to anthologies like A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls and The Girl Who Was on Fire. Now she's got a new novel all to herself, including promising bits like a small English town named Sorry-in-the-Vale, a sinister manor complete with Strange Goings On, and a general Gothic feel. Hurray!






The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I haven't read Stiefvater's famous Wolves of Mercy Falls series (I'm sure you're familiar with the gorgeous cover of the first: it's called Shiver and it's mostly white with blue leaves. More exciting than it sounds, actually). That said, I've heard great things. This one sounds really promising too: a girl with a clairvoyant mother, the mysterious Raven Boys, a prophecy/mystery- yes please!






The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Hey look, it's Yovanoff and Stiefvater again, plus someone I've never heard of but is probably very good too! Apparently, these three authors have a site called  merryfates.com where they have posted more than 250 stories since 2008. This book is a collection of some, including these three:

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream)



Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron

Another anthology, this one with a witchy theme and contributions from authors including Neil Gaiman, Holly Black, Diana Peterfreund, Peter S. Beagle, and Garth Nix. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for this one. Look at that cover!

0 comments:

Post a Comment