Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sequels!

I read so many books, and it seems like the majority of them are the first in a series. I don't have the time, patience, or interest to read all of these series all the way through, but here are some upcoming installments in trilogies/quintets/sagas that I am excited for.

Under Wildwood (Wildwood #2)- Colin Meloy

I don't think I reviewed the first book, written by the lead singer of The Decemberists and illustrated by his wife, Carson Ellis, but I did love it. Talking animals, adventure, SAT words and ever so slightly morbid tendencies. Hurrah!

This 560 page tome will hit shelves September 25th.





The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (Fairlyand #2)

Regular readers may recall me waxing lyrical about the first book, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I've been waiting for this sequel since I closed that first installment. September has returned to fairyland and her friends the Wyverary (half wyvern, half library) and Gleam, because her (September's) Shadow Self has run amuck. I cannot wait for this book, but apparently I will have to, at least until October 2nd. *sigh*




Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2) by Laini Taylor

Eeeeeeeeeeee! Daughter of Smoke and Bone rocketed up to a spot very high up on my list of All Time Favorite Books, so I am so excited for the sequel. I don't want to even put a summary for this one in case it ruins something from the first book. If you are looking for some truly spectacular dark urban fiction, do yourself a favor and pick up these gorgeous books.

Seriously, the covers? How could anyone resist? Hurry up and read the first before Blood and Starlight flies onto (and off) shelves November 6th.




Flame of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters #6) by Juliet Marillier

I am cautiously excited for this one. I feel that most authors I read are pretty consistent in terms of quality (of course some books are better than others with any author, but usally in a pretty small range). Marillier on the other hand, is a bit of a wildcard. The first two books in this series had a profound impact on my life as a reader. Daughter of the Forest and Son of the Shadows are most of why I love, love LOVE Celtic fiction/culture/beliefs, herbalism, folklore, and historical fiction told over generations, and I think Marillier's tone of writing certainly encouraged my love of magic realism, and the blend of the domestic and fantastic that I crave (and find in other books, like Diana Gabaldon's amazing Outlander series).

That being said, her other books range from enchanting (Wildwood Dancing), to still really great (Wolfskin) to "yeah, ok, that was pretty good" (Foxmask, The Dark Mirror), to "arghhh when will this get good??" (Heart's Blood. Answer: never). Even the Sevenwaters series fluctuates. The third, Children of the Prophecy, was pretty solid, and I really liked the fourth, Heir to Sevenwaters, but the fifth, despite a potentially fascinating heroine and excellent setting was just kind of blah.

Anyway, I'm loving the cover and I haven't given up hope that this will be a return to Marillier magic at its finest. Either way I'll find out sometime after November 6th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment